Thursday, February 24, 2011

National Symphony Orchestra

Well, I had to go alone and I gave my extra ticket back to the Center for someone else.  A very nice lady about 75 or so sat in that seat and was a splendid date.  She enjoyed the concert more than I did.

Everything about this kind of concert is new to me so just watching the mechanics of the operation was interesting.  After the orchestra was seated and had been tuning for some time a violinist (who I assume is 1st violinist) came out and struck a note or two to inform the orchestra of proper tuning.  Shortly, the conductor came out and informed us of what the evening would hold.  Then the orchestra struck up the Star Spangled Banner the way it should be played.  Then we settled into a rendition of "Route 66" by someone named Daugherty.  That was followed by some selections from Beethoven and then intermission.  The second part was a ballet by Copland from "Appalachian Spring".  Then we heard another ballet by Ravel.  Each one was explained by the conductor as to its significance.  It closed very grandly and left the audience on its feet clapping and shouting.  Pretty cool.

The the conductor said they would play one for Kentucky and gave us a wonderful rendition of "My Old Kentucky Home" for which we all stood.  Some sang.  I lip synced.  I thought it was over but then they struck up some Sousa marches that got the house all charged up and finished with "The Stars and Stripes Forever".  Congressman Rogers surely was the first to leap to his feet and we all followed suit.  If the orchestra could not deduce our appreciation from our applause, etc. then their battery is dead.

I suppose they hear that a lot but it was as enthusiastic as any applause I hear anywhere else.  The drama of listening to this music live and being able to watch the faces of the performers makes the music unlike any recording.  I'm not that crazy about recorded classical but this was more than I had hoped.

If you missed it, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment