Thursday, July 28, 2011

Something besides the news and politics

I am grateful that I can still find things to enjoy that I haven't experienced before.  While I was aware of Guy Clark's work I hadn't listened to much of it.  His appearance at our Master Musician's Festival prompted me to pay closer attention and I have picked up a few CDs from Amazon.  It is really some great music with emphasis on lyrics and guitar work influenced by the Spanish style.  Boats to Build, Hemingway's Whiskey and The Cape, all songs he performed at the festival are great songs.  Love it.


I picked up a copy of Gillian Welch's new CD, The Harrow and the Harvest, and it is good top to bottom.  I love to listen to the mountain music influences in her music.

I had already tuned in to Steve Earle a couple of years ago after hearing him speak of writing a song for Joan Baez and producing her new CD.  His music is often political and always has a meaning.  His horizons have broadened and his song, Gulf of Mexico, does everything a modern folk song should.  He performed it along with lots of others off his new CD at the festival.  The addition of his wife, Allison Moorer, to his music allows him to introduce some harmony to his otherwise bountiful skills.  Ms. Moorer is a very talented musician in her own right.  One can listen to some of her music on NPR at All Songs Considered.  But be careful, you are going to be exposed to some rational thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment