Monday, July 23, 2012

Master Musician's Festival 2012

Abigail, Kai and Ben

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

Billy Joe Shaver


After the Deluge

The weekend of the Master Musician's Festival got started with a great big splash as the deluge spilled forth at the opening bell. People scattered for cover and I found mine under the sound tent where, graciously, the crew there saw fit to allow me to cower. I repaid their generosity by anchoring a leg of the tent when the blustery winds threatened to mistake it for a sail and take us to the South. The deluge, and I will continue to call it that, drenched the site for about a half hour leaving it a sodden and sometimes muddy mess. However, the volunteers and crew bustled about and the festival got started about an hour late with the opening act, Cuz'n Earl. These are musicians derived from several local bands and they certainly provided a lively kickoff to the festival.

They were followed by The Barry Mando Project, he plays a baritone mandolin for the curious. Their music was pretty jazzy but I like jazz so it was very enjoyable. One of the things I appreciated most about it was the drumming. Jazz drumming is a little different and it was interesting to listen especially to the sound of the snare and tom tom.

The crowd surged up to the stage before Billy Joe Shaver even took the stage. He did not disappoint. He sang us through a repertoire of songs he has written and never even scratched the surface. Wearing a knee brace he still managed to dance a jig or two and it was plain that he fed off of the adoration of the faithful. A particularly poignant moment was when he spoke of his son who fell victim to a drug overdose several years ago. He had a song he had written and he sang it a Capella in memory. It was indeed a treat to witness one of the major influences in so much of American music and note his love for both the stage and the music.

Friday night closed with the 23 String Band and this is not the same band I recall from a couple of years ago. This band was much more energetic and enthused. The mix of vocal harmonies was exquisite and it was apparent that each musician was quite the virtuoso. The lead singer, who hails from Owsley County, has an amazing voice. I really enjoyed them and would stack them up against either The Avett Brothers or Mumford and Sons.

I am sorry to say that I missed the opening act Saturday, Borrowed Blue, but I was told by several that they were very good. I arrived in time to catch Outlet Down and was impressed with their straight ahead hard rock. While their musicians were quite capable the guy doing lead vocals was very impressive with a voice reminiscent of Bon Scott of AC/DC and, in my opinion, is much better than Scott's replacement, Brian Johnson. He sang the upper register parts with an ease and no evidence of straining.

Stephen Gordon brought along a collaborator named Amy Nash who he described as a songwriter from Nashville, I don't think they named the town after her due to the age difference. I would say it was sort of like listening to James Taylor or, perhaps, Gordon Lightfoot. It was an easy style, strong on lyrics and strong lyrics are dear to my heart. Ms. Nash had an interesting voice and was quite pleasant to listen to both as the lead and in harmony.

Mitch Barrett and Owen Reynolds were pretty much as expected, solid performances and good songwriting for which Mitch is known. I did like him but, as I noted before, I perhaps liked him better singing with Carla Gover who gave the music an added dimension. I slipped off while they were performing and drifted over into the little valley where I happened upon a workshop hosted by Abigail Washburn, Kai Welsh and Ben Sollee. These small gatherings, perhaps 75 people allow for more personal interaction and a chance to learn what motivates these artists. I am writing another column about Abigail Washburn so I won't go into detail here but suffice it to say I was quite impressed. I may have also gained a small bit of sophistication making me able to appreciate Ben Sollee's interpretations on the cello. It is amazing how some knowledge of the personalities and motivations of musicians can give one insight into their music. I think, perhaps, that it is the social implications of music that I find most fascinating. So, stay tuned for my Abigail Washburn/Kai Welsh column.

Ben Sollee was his always impressive self which leaves novices such as myself with a lingering suspicion that I may have missed the point. However, one must never dismiss music on short notice for there is something in the artistry to be gleaned. Learning should be continuous and this is a trait of this festival.

The Downtown County Band was quite competent and performed well. Each member demonstrated an familiarity with his instrument and each performed vocally as well. They put on a good show but I watched them after my epiphany with Ms. Washburn and perhaps my senses were jaded.

As I noted in my previous column I first saw J.D. Crowe in 1969 and that was 43 years ago. He would have been about 33 and me 21. I have seen him many times since and while his virtuosity has not diminished the toll of the years are evident. One must stand in the presence of J.D. as one stands in the presence of greatness with reverence. In addition, his band has been made up of more luminous members in the past. Make no mistake, he was not a disappointment but maybe was not up to some of the performances he has done in the past. Since this is his last year touring we were very fortunate to have him present.

I expressed early on that Jason Isbell may be the best performer for this year's festival. In my opinion he was but for many others it was Billy Joe. Hard to argue with either choice. Isbell hails from Muscle Shoals, Alabama, the home of much of the music that comes from the deep south. He is very strong with his lyrical sensibilities and has a voice and a band with the technical expertise to bring emotive expression to them. The guy can rock but it is evident his forte is writing. Dress Blues was my favorite song as I expected. It tells of a high school classmate who joined the service and went off to war, only to return in a box. Very poignant. Jason Isbell gets my vote but I think my grandson will vote for Billy Joe Shaver. We are both winners.

Well, just call me unappreciative but I just did not enjoy The Punch Brothers as much as I expected I might. Chris Thile has been here before in the incarnation of Nickel Creek and I was not impressed then either. I think it is just me and that I just don't care for the interpretations he writes for the mandolin. I am not musically trained enough to be very critical but it seems to me that the arrangements were much too structured and I don't think his voice is very expressive. These days lots of bands are trying to hitch a ride on the phenomenon of The Avett Brothers and Mumford and Sons. Some do it better than others.

But, the thing about music, as it is with all art, is that it does not have to have the acceptance of its audience even though everyone appreciates affirmation. This festival is successful at bringing acts that stretch one's experience and doing that is always good.

Hats off to the board for a very successful festival. Hope they were able to meed financial goals and I am already looking forward to next year.

1 comment: