Friday, March 28, 2014

Music Festivals. Am I aged out?

I'm not quite too old for festivals as a whole but I am certainly unwilling to endure some in particular.  For instance, I love our local festival which last year scored about 6000 attendees.  However, it is unlikely I would ever attend another festival such as the one I went to in Sedalia, Missouri in, I believe, '75 or '76 that scored 300,000 or 400,000 people.  Recollection is a little vague.  I still have some friends who will be off to Bonnaroo this year.  I understand there are accommodations for camping and motor homes which would make it much more tolerable.

I used to be nonchalant about a day or two or three in the burning hot summer sun but nonchalance about such discomfort is no longer a part of my life.  Of course, there were a few ingredients that made those possible that are no longer a part of my life either.

If there existed a way to go experience the crowd and music for brief periods and then retreat to air conditioned comfort for naps I maybe would be more amenable.  I would love to go to SXSW but I just can't get the motor running.  I am entranced by Burning Man.  I don't have a bucket list but if I did that would be on it.  However, the notion of spending a week in the desert in a city that only exists for that time is a little daunting.  Campers would make it bearable perhaps as long as one had sufficient fuel to drive the AC.


I suppose what would really be attractive to me would be something like the Woodland music fairs that are sometimes held in Lexington where one can pack picnic dinners and put out a nice spread on the grass under some fine shade.  For the multi-day affairs I would suggest either golf carts or some nice public transportation from the Hyatt-Regency which is about the extent of my camping these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment