Sunday, May 18, 2014

About Wisdom and Idealism



The Constant Confrontation

Not long ago I was told by a young man, “Your generation just doesn't want to give up power to a new generation.” I was taken aback thinking, “hey, that's my line.” Well, it was 35 or 40 years ago (or more). I said much the same thing to those old guys who were in power and holding me and my generation back. After all, we had new ideas and the energy to do something about it while those dinosaurs were content to sit on their wallets and protect their own. I still think that but I have come to realize there are other elements in play.

I can still remember the first time it was driven home to me that right does not always win over might. It was a lesson in my political education that was quite painful and absolutely necessary for me to learn. I was a part of the local Young Democrats. We were a very active bunch with great sponsors who had ties to the party at the state level. I and some others had backed a person in a race but, in the end, our candidate saw the inevitability of losing and made a deal. I refused to accept that he willingly gave in and continued to support him only to finally be embarrassed by my naivete. That was the first time I learned that lesson but certainly not the last time. I have an astoundingly hard head when it comes to idealism. Now, I try to remain idealistic but with a modicum of realism. I don't like the negative outcomes any more but it hurts me less.

In that time all those years ago I was part of a generation that believed anything was possible, that our idealism was something new and that we were the chosen ones to bring that idealism to the nation. It was a long fall. However, even after having that idealism trampled into cynicism I have been fortunate enough to have it return even if in a somewhat tempered form. We won a few of those fights but neither easily nor quickly. I understand now that change rarely comes in an instant absent a traumatic event and that one must wage the long fight in order to effect the change first envisioned.

I started to angrily correct that young man's assertion but I caught myself just in time. You see, any kind of angry retort would have only reinforced his conviction and would have placed me outside of the realm of possibility of ever being able to have a beneficial relationship with him. We must never callously reject the idealism of youth. It is a treasure to be valued just as is the wisdom of years. If we try to ridicule idealism in the young we risk losing the value of that uncluttered vision in the future. Instead, we should mentor and use the lessons we have learned from our errors to enable young activists to carry their vision either to fruition or to being tempered by the convictions of others. Peering into my own past I can recall precious few of that type of friend. Most did just as the young man assumed my own position would be.

The fact is that youthful idealism will seldom burst forth full grown. It will usually fall short in the means of implementation and fail to foresee the pitfalls that await it. The fact is that we live in a world that is distressingly influenced by self aggrandizement and power. The fact is that even if our cause is just it will still have to deal with these realities. I still find that incredibly short-sighted but I now understand that usually it will be a long fight.

The occasion for those remarks I began with was a conversation about a local election in which a younger person is attempting to replace one of my generation. I pointed out the record of the incumbent as something to be worthy of reelection thereby prompting the young man's remark.

It is unfortunate that in so many political races these days the electorate has little or no idea of what the candidate is proposing to do. It seems that campaigns have been reduced to slogans and personality contests and those qualities are not the stuff of which progress is made. Wouldn't it be just wonderful if the candidates would state their ideas and records and ask the voters to judge according to how they value those statements and their judgment of the veracity of the candidates? That is my idealism.
But that is just not the way things are done these days and it will be for another column to discuss why. The main thing here is the desperate need to not rebuke the convictions and idealism of youth with the goal of destroying it but to nurture it in the hope of seeing it come to be reality. Confrontation is the nature of youth while discussion and rationale should be the currency of age. It is up to those of us who have learned the path to pass that knowledge on to those that follow us. We waste far too much wisdom in forcing the lesson to be learned and relearned with each generation.

But, there is also a reality that those holding power are reluctant to give it up willingly so it falls to the challenger to present reasons to allow someone new to take the reins. It is inevitable that a challenger will prevail at some point but the best results will be attained if evidence and aspirations are visible for the voters to see.

My Take is that we need to value idealism while tempering it with wisdom. Where the two intersect is greatness and the best possible outcome for the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment