Friday, June 6, 2014

Garden Issue No. 1






I have always wanted to grow a showpiece garden. As I drive around I see some gardens that are beautiful and I get so envious but I know that to equal those gardens would require a lot more than I am prepared to give at this stage of my life. I do pretty good early in the season when all you have to do is clear a bit of ground and drop a seed leaving the next step up to God. It is later in the season when other things are trying to grow in my garden and more of the responsibility for results falls on me that the wheels begin to come off. I had an epiphany that the garden is a pretty good metaphor for life. Things go along pretty good as long as God is in charge but when we try to take over a bit more then results become problematic. Like any metaphor you really don't want to stretch it too far.

I struggled with the early garden. The soil temperature comes up a bit more slowly here in the hollow so getting stuff out in late February and early March just does not work too good. I waited until April 15 which is the average last frost date to plant. Even at that some stuff came along pretty good then the temperature dropped and it rained for a couple of weeks. About everything rotted in the ground so I got to plant again. It was probably almost a month later before I got back in the groove and began planting again. So, here we are at the first of June and I am about a month behind. I have gotten salad stuff and some broccoli and, of course, asparagus but nothing else.

I usually put out about fifty tomato plants. I have about a dozen heirloom plants the chief among which is my Brandywines. I seriously love those things. The remainder of the crop is Better Boy which is a great canning tomato and we put up a lot of tomatoes whole. I was accused once of not being able to cook without tomatoes and my response was, “well, who would want to?”

This year I ordered my pole beans from the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture place over at Berea. I have put out some NT half-runners, Margaret Best cut shorts, greasy beans and some greasy cut-shorts. We have found that over the years that the flavor has been bred out of the usual half-runners and we are attempting to reclaim the joy of a bean that tastes good without covering it with something. I don't grow bush beans because I don't like to bend over to weed and pick them.

My zucchini and summer squash came up only sporadically but I have a darned good volunteer crop of the summer squash. I always plant too much of the stuff but who cares. I have four short rows of corn and I will follow up with another four rows depending, as usual, on my Jack Russel Terrier to harass any critters such as racoons that would try to devastate the corn crop. Last year I took the advice of the Evans' and bagged each ear after pollination to try to defeat the Japanese beetles and worms. It worked pretty good so I'll try that again. Knowing when the silks have been pollinated is a bit of a guessing game for me but I am sure that someone can fill me in on the proper timing.

I always like to try some different stuff so this year I am growing some kohlrabi. I eat a lot of the various cole crops so some variety will be welcome. We also put up chopped bell peppers for cooking so I've got a dozen or so of them out. You would be surprised how much chopped pepper that will produce. I will plant a few jalapenos since they are not too hot and have good flavor. I like to use them in my chow-chow that I have been trying to get like my Grandma Emily's for most of my adult life. She didn't use jalapenos but a few liberties shouldn't do too much harm.

I have tried for a few years to do some succession planting to assure a continuing supply of fresh cucumbers but the heat of the summer doesn't contribute to making that an easy job. But who knows, maybe it will work this time. I can go out into the garden when it is in production and just graze. To look at me you can tell that I also graze a considerable amount on other stuff but I do love the fresh garden.

Brussels sprouts are best grown in the fall as are the other cole crops but I set out some late this spring. If you can get them producing you can harvest them into December most years. Okra is another thing that I like to cook gumbos and such with so I put out a row of them.

As the summer progresses and my job that I use to make a living becomes more demanding the predictable results happen in the garden. I get to the point of doing weeding with the weed eater and this year I have one of those little Troy-Bilt tillers that you can get between things so I'm hoping to overcome some of the fruits of my non-labor.

And if all else fails I can rely on our local farmer's markets. The Market on Main opens June 5th and I intend to be there. Last year I bought a bunch of garlic bulbs intending to set them out in the late fall as is directed but that did not happen. I intend to try to do better this year. If I can come up with a photo of the garden that I'm not embarrassed to share I will post it for all to see. Otherwise I may just post a photo of someone else's garden. As a matter of fact, why don’t you all send in some photos of your gardens for everyone to admire along with your gardening news and stories. See, another epiphany.

No comments:

Post a Comment