Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Festival of High Notes






By any quantifiable means of measurement it seems that this year's Master Musician's Festival was a resounding success. Attendance was up and there were more and better vendors, some of which were local wineries Cedar Creek and Sinking Valley. Overall I would have to say there was not a weak spot in the entire artist lineup.

The festival was kicked off by Kelly Rae Burton, a local artist who writes most of her own stuff and performs it with panache. I have had the pleasure of watching this woman grow from a girl into a gifted artist never forsaking her dream. The performance I witnessed on Friday night impressed me with how Kelly has matured both musically and in performance. The group that followed her, The Little Ship, was also good. They are still quite young but very capably covered songs by several titans in the music world. The Seas are a hard rock band from London and are also very good.

I don't want to get into a critique of each performer but there are a few that stood out to me. Willie Watson, formerly of Old Crow Medicine Show, was a one man act. Watson left a successful group to focus on folk music. It has to be a love of the genre for someone to do that because you just don't hear of very many pure folkies these days. He also covered some old delta blues classics that are more recognizable from their covers in rock 'n' roll. Fifth on the Floor came out with some straight ahead Southern Rock with a heavy emphasis on country. I think of them as having licks like Skynyrd and vocals like Waylon. Darned good. The Apache Relay were very good musically but I likened them to The Lumineers or The Decemberists. Now, both of those bands have huge followings but I am not part of them. Just because it isn't my cup of tea doesn't mean they aren't good. I have found a few folks that disagree with me. Imagine that! St. Paul and the Broken Bones came flying in at the last minute having been caught in traffic on the interstate somewhere. They flew about changing clothes and hit the stage running. Great musicians every one but Paul Janeway knows how to pull off a soul song. Being a long time aficionado of soul music I loved every note and knew most of the songs. Janeway is an energy bomb with the look of a Baptist minister, one of whom just coincidentally happens to be his Dad. Counting Crows was the headline act and their performance showed the professionalism their status requires. They haven't been at the top of the charts for a while but that does not mean that they don't have fans that will drive a couple hundred miles to see them. I met a few from Nashville who were just ecstatic at being able to get that close to the stage. Adam Duritz and Company performed their hits and a fair amount of new material and, judging from the response of the crowd, did not disappoint.

While I love the music my real joy at this festival is wandering through the crowd, seeing old friends and meeting some new ones. I will recall those earlier days and marvel at how things have changed. One of the things I look for each year is something that will surprise me and there were a few. The crowd had changed from last year and the year before that. It was much younger and I didn't see many of the older folks that had been present in years past. Truthfully, the lineup wasn't very appealing for the older or more sedate set. There weren't any bluegrass, Celtic or Appalachian music acts unless you count Willie Watson or Stoll Vaughn. Tyler Childers might qualify.

As a matter of fact just this characteristic of this year's festival is what has caused me to be this long in writing my appraisal. As I studied the crowd noting the different makeup and attendance it gave me reason to consider whether the changes were good or a step in the wrong direction. I have spoken to quite a few folks, some of whom did not like the changes and some that thought they were stupendous. I think it is simply the perspective one takes. Being of the Boomer generation I have the quality and burden of eternal coolness so I try to approach decisions of this importance with soberness and I mean in all respects.

My Take? Times change and you can either change with them or be left on the porch. I'm not ready for that just yet although I do appreciate my time occupied in that pastime. There are new generations and, no matter what we think, they will demand their time in the sun. We Boomers have certainly had our time. Now, don't think I am going to just meekly walk off the stage. I have been accused of not being willing to cede power to the younger folks and there may be some truth to that. I will step aside sometimes and other times I will have to be kicked aside. Having said that, I think the festival was pretty darned good. It has grown up and attracts music lovers from far and wide who are hungry for events that are entertaining and family friendly and our festival is certainly that. Plus, it won't break you up. But what about the foundational criteria that Gabrielle and the others articulated those twenty one years ago? The qualities of celebrating Appalachian culture, the breaking down of gender and racial barriers and the educational benefits that music can bring to any event? Is it possible for an event such as this to be more than a party and actually strive for a nobler purpose? I think it can.

Don't get me wrong. The very first requirement is for the festival to be financially solvent so that it can continue and that has been admirably achieved. This festival is a premier event for our area and is just one of those things that sets the Somerset-Pulaski County Area apart from other communities. Tiffany Bourne and the Board of Directors deserve our thanks for that and a hearty “well done.” But those other things that were left behind this year are worthy goals and deserving of their spot on the stage.

Twenty One years and the Master Musician's Festival is successful. I remember when there was talk of closing it down. Aren't we glad it did not go that way. We now have a very active entertainment community and performance venues. We have more than our share of local talent so I have to ask this question. Do you think we could support another music and arts festival?


No comments:

Post a Comment