Monday, October 20, 2014

It's Just Not That Hard






Some of you may know that I, along with my wife, own and operate a small business. It is a business that provides services and some durable goods sales to mainly residential customers. It is very small having only one employee at the time. I have had as many as two and at other times it has just been me. I confess that I am not the 60 or 80 hour week kind of guy but I have, on occasion, been forced into such a schedule. Some years we have done okay and others we haven't. Since the economy fell off the cliff it has been more haven't. I believe it was the year following the beginning of the recession that the President pushed a small stimulus bill through Congress and it was targeted in a way that impacted my business favorably. It was a decent year. Since then business has been more a matter of holding on that being a growth business. I have made a few observations of things that have impacted my business and I think they may be the same kind of things that impact other businesses.

One thing I can say for sure is that tax policy is a non-issue with my business. Taxes are reasonable and I have discovered that to pay taxes one has to make money. Social Security is the largest burden since, as a self-employed entrepreneur, I have to bear the entire payment. If you are employed by another employer you only pay half while your employer pays the other half. But I really can't gripe because I knew that going in and I figure I will get more than I paid in when I start receiving benefits. What hasn't happened is enough income to plan for retirement so my plan is to work as long as I can even after I start receiving benefits. This way maybe I'll drop dead on the job and won't have to worry about retirement.

Over the years I have noticed how my business rises and falls with the local economy. I have examined that with a great deal of interest since people that I owe money to really want to get paid whether or not I have any money. I'll bet that is true for most of you. With my business I carved out a small niche where I wasn't in competition so much on price as I was on quality and customer service. What I have seen is that when other companies in my line of work who are larger employers become affected by the local economy they begin to lay off workers. Some of those workers do what they have to do to earn money and that is encroach into my niche. With that competition goes up and I have the choice of doing less business, lowering prices or cutting quality which is a part of my overhead. I have to tell you that if I had known thirty years ago what I now know about operating a small business I may have looked a little harder at working for another company or trying for a government job. However, I was confident that my work and skill would be a better choice in the long run. Entrepreneurship is to be highly valued. Those owners really are a vital part of a local economy and they assume a lot of risk often being ill equipped to assess that risk and therefore become one of the many that fail within the first 5 years.

This recession that began in the year before President Obama was elected was rooted in the exploding home construction bubble. I recall in those years leading up to the recession people in my business kept wondering who was really buying all those houses. Turned out that a lot of people were just trying to buy those houses. When the bottom fell out and the mortgages on those houses turned upside down that golden goose died and with it the dreams of millions of people. Around here the ripple effect could be observed going through the economy. Because I wasn't so much involved in construction it took a little longer to begin to affect me but affect me it did in two ways. As I said, those workers laid off started businesses of their own and they were willing to work in my niche. Also, it soon became evident that our local population was being much more conscious about how it spent money. Jobs that would have come along were now being delayed and people did not spring for repairs until they were affected in a painful, negative way.

So, this is what I have learned about operating a small business, at least one as small as mine. Tax policy on earned income is of little consequence. What is of consequence most is lack of demand. People don't have any money. Now, some are okay but I am speaking generally. The federal stimulus was a matter of tax policy but it allowed people to use a deduction to stimulate the economy in a targeted way. The way it affected my business was to create demand and I suppose it did the same for others who are in my line of work. In addition, it was targeted in such a way as to get people to make investments in energy efficiency which stimulated the entire economy to some extent.

This is what I see. Of all factors demand is most critical. Demand is created when consumers have disposable income that they can use for necessary or elective needs. We have a lot of people, just ask Mitt Romney, who don't make enough money to pay much more in taxes than their Social Security. If you take that population out of the equation then demand takes a huge hit. Lowering the overall tax rate will not impact those people to any large degree. However, targeted stimulus using the tax code will impact those people by making it possible to have some extra income to spend and that ripples through the economy from the ground up. It does not trickle down. Families with children are able to access the earned income credit which also allows them to acquire income they would not have had before and this is stimulative to the economy from the ground up.

Lowering taxes on higher incomes has no stimulative effect on my small business. Even if they invest the money in stocks, bonds or whatever it is simply not trickling down because the businesses those stocks represent are not creating new business. They are sitting on trillions of dollars of cash or using it to buy back stock to increase the net worth of that stock. It has no stimulative affect nor does it create new wealth.

My take is that we are told a lie when our aspiring leaders tell us that taxes are too high and that lowering them will bring prosperity. What is needed is demand and we must ask what will create new demand. It's not hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment