Wednesday, July 15, 2015

A Weekend To Remember




Put a mandolin into the hands of Sam Bush or a banjo into the hands of Bela Fleck or a cello into the hands of Ben Sollee and it is transformed from a simple musical instrument into a wondrous machine that can transport the listener to places around our globe and even the universe. The magic that these men wield is not only due to their skill at manipulating the instrument but also in their ability to see where the music has not been before and go there taking you with them.

You may recall that I had hopes that Sam and Bela would appear on the stage together and my hopes were magnificently rewarded. They share roots in traditional music having both been members of Newgrass Revival but their musical adventure has taken them far from home. It is no different with a scientist who keeps pushing the boundaries of his craft. These men push the boundaries of their craft. I think that they do what we were privileged to see at the Master Musician's Festival as a way to pay the bills for their trips to those far away places. Not that they don't experience pleasure in playing to a crowd that validates their efforts but their musical spirits are restless. I have read that Bill Monroe, the Father of Bluegrass, was not a fan of the playing of Sam Bush and Bela Fleck has taken the banjo from its roots into the realm of jazz and it is a strange journey indeed.

Abigail Washburn is a virtuoso banjoist herself using the more traditional clawhammer style of playing and she has a love of the traditional Appalachian music. Bela and Abigail played a few of those old ballads and did a hilarious comedy skit about that. Who knew? Bela said that when Abigail began playing those old murder ballads that he would decide that it was an opportune time to do some banjo maintenance in the basement. You had to be there. But Abigail is not without her own sense of adventure having spent a lot of time in China and speaking fluent Mandarin, or as Bela put it, fluent mandolin. She has written a song in Chinese which they performed. I had not a clue what she was saying but it was beautiful.

To my knowledge there has never been a culture arise that did not develop music as a mode of expression and these people take us there. Their assimilation of those cultures into their own music is homage to those who have gone before and a link to those who will come. I recently watched a KET special that featured Sam Bush along with other luminaries on a trip to Scotland to play with some of the leading musicians of that country that has been so important in the populating of Appalachia. Bela has made trips to Africa to become acquainted with the music of his instrument which originated as strings stretched over a skin covered gourd. He has brought some of those rhythms into his own repertoire and is paying them forward. Of course, the Chinese influence on Abigail is all over her music. She has done tours in China and recorded in that language. Ben Sollee's travels and openness to other cultures has affected his use of rhythms in his own music.

Ben Sollee played while being accompanied by a marimba and percussion. In his performance I was reminded ever so much of the Graceland album by Paul Simon. In my opinion Ben Sollee is in the same league with Paul Simon and they both continually reinvent their music to reflect what they have assimilated from their exposure to other cultures. If Ben Sollee were in New York he would be spoken of in the say way as Simon but he chooses to remain in Kentucky and champion Kentucky causes. I enjoyed this performance by Ben Sollee more than any other I have seen. It is interesting to note the interaction among the four musicians. Sollee once played with Washburn in her Sparrow Quartet and, of course, Washburn is married to Fleck. Fleck once played in the seminal newgrass group Newgrass Revival which included Sam Bush.

Sam Bush probably gave us the most traditional performance of any of these four. His rendition of “Eight More Miles to Louisville” was a real crowd pleaser and foot stomper. While traditional I don't believe I have ever seen anyone do a performance with more glee. From time to time he would stop and hurl a tee shirt into the crowd and then cackle about how the crowd resembled nothing so much as a yard full of chickens going after a hand full of corn.

All in all I would rank this festival at or near the top of any of the Master Musician's Festivals I have attended. I have missed several so I am not an authority on anything other than my enjoyment. What I do know is that my enjoyment can't be contained in the space allotted to me so I have just mentioned these four performers. Bush, Washburn and Fleck were my primary goals to see and I was just plain surprised by the stellar performance by Ben Sollee. I suppose one can't expect to have a top to bottom excellent festival like this every year but I am certainly happy that the Festival Board tries.

My Take is kudos to the board and volunteers for an excellent two days and nights of entertainment that will remain in my memory (I still call it that) for a long time. I hope. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment