Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Willie Nelson: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize

Willie Nelson: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize: Rosanne Cash, Edie Brickell, Paul Simon, Alison Krauss, Raul Malo, Neil Young, and more pay tribute to singer and songwriter Willie Nelson, the 2015 recipient of the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.



Well, I have to admit that Willie has lived long enough and written so many winners that he deserved this award.  The various stars that sang his classics was pretty good too.  And Don Was thumped along on his bass and the McCrory Sisters did their usual tremendous job at harmonies and backup.  I did wonder where Buddy Miller and Ry Cooder were.



 I realize that the Gershwin Award is not some rock 'n' roll type thing but I thought it might be something like the Kennedy Center Honors or maybe one of those invites to the White House like they had for Led Zeppelin and The Eagles but this was a more sedate bunch.  Some of them knew the songs and a few sang with Pancho and Lefty but I think I know what the problem was.  They were Republicans.



Before you go off on me just watch the thing and look at the crowd.  I spotted Rand Paul and there was another guy who is (was) one of those White House people.  Maybe Papadopolous.  But you could just tell.  They all sat there very politely and I didn't see a one who looked like he might have toked up one before coming in.  A crowd of Democrats will jump up and clap and shout but Republicans are afraid someone might see them having a good time although I did see some of the ladies get almost tearful to "Night Life" and a couple of those other Willie songs that he wrote for Ray Price or someone. To be truthful, Willie looked a little out of place.  I'm thinking they might not have even let him burn one before the show.  Even Neil Young was strangely reserved.



I knew that once President Obama was gone that we wouldn't see any more good music from DC.  Elvis has left the building.  But don't get too down.  Just vote, remember the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment