Thursday, October 6, 2011

Aunt Katy's Funeral






I just got back from a funeral for my Aunt Katy today.  Aunt Katy was the wife of my Mother's brother and a seriously sweet woman.  I don't recall ever seeing her without a big smile on her face.  My cousins assure me she had another look but it was reserved for the most serious of occasions.  Uncle Earl is a preacher or as he calls it, a bishop.  He said he read that in the Bible and thought that he would be a bishop.  Uncle Earl preaches Pauline doctrine and the young man who preached Aunt Katy's funeral was a disciple of his.  We went through Monticello and on to Alpha, Kentucky and a small church called the Old Bethel Bible Church.  After the service the pallbearers carried the casket across the road to the grave-site.  I looked ahead at the line of attendees, I won't say mourners for it was not a particularly mournful situation, and it brought to mind the lines one sees at those funerals in New Orleans.  All we needed was the brass band hence the photograph I have included.  If ever there was a person ready to meet her Lord it was Aunt Katy and there was no need for too many tears.  Of course, those for whom she had become and integral part of their lives will have tears of separation but reunion is assured.  As it should be for a believer, a joyous occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment