Sunday, October 30, 2011

Time To Check In

Here it is the first week of November.  Just think, we have a full year to go before the elections and there are billions of dollars to be spent on advertising no one wants to see.  I saw where the GOP National Committee was saying that they are having too many debates.  People are becoming so informed that the polls are jumping wildly and it was creating difficulty for some of them to raise money.  To that I say, "GREAT".  In addition I say that the Democrats ought to do that too.  Except that the President would have to debate with himself which may not be that far a stretch.  I have often said that I think that all private money should be restricted from the electoral process and that campaigns be in debate form only.  You can find out a lot about someone in a debate.  This year's debates has revealed that Governor Perry can't stay focused, Michele Bachman gets her facts from a troll under a bridge and Herman Cain doesn't know who the President of Uzbekibekistan is and doesn't care.  But they have also revealed that Ron Paul and Mitt Romney are the only adults in the room.  Only one of them has a chance.  And who can forget the picture of Al Gore standing at W's shoulder during the debates and the glances from W as if to say, "man, you are in my personal space."  Al didn't do himself any favors there.
The Occupy movement is demonstrating some legs and picked up a great photo op when the former Marine got cold-cocked by some missile in Oakland.  The municipalities obviously haven't kept the handbook from 1971 on how to deal with sit-ins.  Cranking up the quasi-military forces in full riot gear is not a tactic designed to make friends.  What I find most alluring is that the movement has jumped the pond and is receiving some support from the crowds in Europe and in the Middle East.  Recall that it was lack of opportunity that caused the Egyptian protests to begin.  I suppose it is just too much to count on a global effort to return government to the people but, call me Pollyanna, one can hope and dream.
And the U.S. armed forces are leaving Iraq.  I am glad we are not staying there forever but some are crying that we should really have annexed Iraq and declared it a U.S. territory sort of like Puerto Rico so we could try out new tactics and weapons and drill, baby, drill.  They seem to miss the point that we were asked to leave and the deal was done years ago.  I guess no one really thought we would do it since we have never left anywhere if we did not have to.
There are a few sports links to satisfy my grandson and I still haven't come up with any little girl stuff.  I am open to suggestions but they must not call into question my sincerity in pursuing enlightenment.
Go back a couple of weeks to catch up.  Be sure to turn your friends on to my blog so that I can build my readership up to numbers that may sustain me in my old age.  Whatever the case, I appreciate each of you for taking time to read my posts.  I have a couple of original ones that are published in the local paper.  The link is
I am working on creating a facebook page to make it easier to check in.  Please take the time to sign up as an official follower so you can receive notifications automatically.
Thanks
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment