Monday, March 25, 2013

Good Listening

                       

Somerset's own Brandon Roush--he will be auditioning for "The Voice".  He is an awesome voice.  First saw him at MMF when his group was "No Tale Lights" now he is with "The Dirty Grindstones".  I've got a blog post from a couple of years ago about this guy.  I'll see if I can dig it up.


I did indeed dig it up and this is my review from MMF09 when Roush played with No Tale Lights.

Friday night was a better opening night than most. Of the four acts we saw I think, besides Richie, the local group, No Tale Lights was far and away the cream of the crop. They have a very strong band behind the vocals of the lead singer who is a phenom. The rhythm section laid down a strong and heavy groove that carried the music so well it gave the vocals and lead guitar a lot of room for expression. I accused one of the members (I have grandchildren older than them I believe) of sneaking out their grandparents old vinyl and absorbing it. He just looked at me kinda funny but I heard snippets of the old San Francisco psychedelic sound, the Stax soul music, Southern Rock, Motown and AC/DC (complete with the Angus antics). This is a band that has all the ingredients to move to the top if they get the breaks and avoid the pitfalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment