Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Mea Culpa

I hope that I am at least a little bit wiser than I was as a young man. Of course, that guy was an expert on about everything but still lacked wisdom.

I suppose that from the time that I became aware of the differences between boys and girls up until the time that I found my wife that one of my major pursuits was to convince girls to see things my way. Often drinking alcohol was part of that plan and it was sort of a game that I tried very hard to win but alcohol also impairs judgement. I do not recall ever even trying to force a female to acquiesce to my wishes or to simply overpower her. At some point no meant no. Disappointing but still the rules of the game. Where on earth is the fun in taking advantage of a woman who is unable to play the game? I think this is familiar territory for many of us both male and female. This is not the way that Judge Kavanaugh acted. He has stated that he did not experience sexual relations until what some of us would consider an advanced age but if his accuser's statements are true then he achieved sexual relations in a different way by forcing himself on women even though they were apparently able to fend him off. His methods were awkward and did not consider the wishes of the woman at all. To him she was simply a foil on which he could perform his acts for the enjoyment of others. To me that is despicable.

No doubt I have been guilty of less than honorable treatment of some of the women I have known but, if so, I am truly repentant just as I am a wiser man and can see nuance. If I were accused, as Judge Kavanaugh is, I would readily ask for forgiveness for any transgressions and hope that my request would be granted. Judge Kavanaugh's use of force and his lack of consideration of the will of the woman makes the incidents more than the usual sexual play. With his denial of the incidents he has counted as nothing the years of pain and the other psychological burdens that go with them. That is not acceptable and his lies as an adult make him unfit to serve at the highest levels of our government where he would exercise power over others who have been taken down this road. The path that he has chosen shows us that he considers his needs paramount and the needs of others less so. That is not the kind of person that is suited for the Supreme Court. In fact, if so, then he has already acceded far past what he deserves.

That so many still can't see the truth and reason in this is a sad indictment.

No comments:

Post a Comment