Monday, October 22, 2012

Astute Assessment

I know that many of you are waiting on pins and needles for my astute assessment of tonights debates so here we go.

Foreign policy is the President's strength and his policies around the world are hard to argue with due to the success.  Obama's job was to show he had the cojones to handle foreign policy and to show that Romney does not have the the same mojo.  Romney's job was to not blow it by making some kind of bellicose statement.  On the whole I have to say that according to that metric Romney probably did a better job just because the bar was lower.  Obama had to be more aggressive and that bit him a time or two when Romney deflected his attacks by claiming that was not an agenda.

Obama was better on substance and in explaining the objectives fo his foreign policy.  Romney kind of laid back and said, "me, too.  Only I would have done it louder."  I think that worked pretty good.

On the whole, I have to give a slight edge to Romney on style.  I think he improved his position a bit, not a lot, but Obama did not do any damage to is own position.  The debate is almost a wash.  What is significant is that Romney's foreign policy team is essentially the same one that W used in the first term so we can expect that he is getting the same advice but with the caveat not to tell anyone just yet..

I really liked Ann Romney's dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment