Sunday, October 28, 2012

What I Learned From George






The 1972 campaign of George McGovern was the first campaign that I was even marginally active in. Oh, I was keenly interested in the 1968 campaign that saw the fiasco in Chicago, the murder of Bobby Kennedy and the deep divisions over the war in Vietnam. It was the Democratic Party that underwent a schism over the war and other cultural issues. When the party convened in Chicago the convergence of Mayor Daly's storm troopers and the various protesters ripped the party apart. Up until then the conventions were run much the same as they had always been with deals being cut in smoke filled rooms and party bosses telling the delegates they controlled how to vote. After the debacle in 1968 and the narrow loss to Richard Nixon the Democratic party did some soul searching and decided that the nomination process needed to be more representative of the constituency and transparent in its operations.

The new party rules changed the whole game. There was a concerted effort to involve more youth, African-Americans and women in the process and a lot of the power was removed from the party bosses. As a young man I was one of the delegates to our state convention which was going to choose the delegates to the national convention which means I was still a pretty small fish. However, I was idealistic and active and believed that right would always triumph and that the subject of my idealism was so obvious that anyone should be able to appreciate my reasoning. Boy, did I get my eyes opened. We ended up approving a slate of delegates consisting of the same old party players committed to the leadership of Governor Wendell Ford. We were allowed to come in, cast a vote and thank you for your service, see you later.

But in other states that was not the case and the new rules swayed the selection process and the Democratic Party chose George McGovern of South Dakota as our standard bearer. To me the right choice was so obvious I could not fathom how anyone would not be eager to vote for this man. He was against the war in Vietnam, for equal rights for African-Americans and women and would lead the United States into a new progressive utopian future. This was the election after which I began to doubt my skills at prognostication and which saw the budding of an alternate view of the American voter. Lo and behold, as unlikely as it seemed the people elected Richard Nixon again and not by just a little. It was a landslide of historic proportions and I had to question my understanding of the political process.

McGovern was a remnant of that progressive plains politician who came of age during the depression and World War II and who believed that the common man was the just recipient of the benefits of democracy. He held out against those who would relegate us to the ash heap, struggling for a glimpse of the top. He saw the injustice of the war in Vietnam that allowed the wealthy to escape the bogs and jungles while the poor went out to their deaths. 54,000 of them. He famously said that the Senate chamber reeked of blood. One of the things I have always been most proud of was our own Senator John Sherman Cooper who was an early antagonist of the war. A Republican from Somerset who could never be elected today with the sentiments of his party as they now exist.

But, McGovern was right. Only a year or so later Richard Nixon would resign in disgrace and the United States would begin the extraction of our forces from Vietnam. By 1975 the troops were home and the North Vietnamese Army swept over South Vietnam. Oh sure, we could have defeated them just like we could defeat the Iraqis, the Afghans or anyone else as long as we could recognize who to fight but therein lies the problem. McGovern saw that and recognized that there was no rationale for continuing to fight an endless war to prop up a corrupt government. Familiar? He saw that we were embroiled in a civil war that did not have a good ending for us.

The country had gone through quite enough with Johnson, Nixon and the war and elected an honest Sunday School teacher from Plains, Georgia next time around. All he had to do was promise never to lie to us. I don't think he did.

But my youthful idealism was crushed and cynicism took over. Sure, I went on to study Political Science but not with any idea of engaging in politics but rather as preparation for law school. That didn't happen either. For years I watched my party send up liberal Democrats only to have them slapped down which only reinforced my cynicism and refusal to engage. Then, of course, came Bill Clinton who showed the Democrats the way out of the wilderness even though not a few of us weren't too excited over it.

But my affection for public affairs and political machinations stayed with me and finally I was given an opportunity to write which gave me an outlet for my thoughts and reason to stay engaged and informed. What I have learned is this. Cynicism is no substitute for positive actions. It is only an excuse to validate one's laziness and inertia and it defies the charter given to us by the founders who knew the public would have to be active for the experiment to work. Idealism should never be forgotten even if it sometimes must be tempered with judgment.

Unlike me, George McGovern never gave up. It just was not in him. He brought that same persistence and tenacity to his love of country in the same way he earned all those decorations for his service in combat. Yes, he lost an election hugely but he never fell victim to cynicism. Whatever you may think of the man you should respect him for his love of country and selfless dedication. I will remember him and the lessons he taught me fondly.

My take on a great American who gave his all to the United States. Does finding out these things change your view on anything? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment