Monday, July 7, 2014

MMF 2014




I have struggled to find a way to write about one of my favorite things this year. The Master Musician's Festival will kick off this Friday evening with a local talent that I am familiar with. Kelly Rae Burton has grown up before my eyes and, with the help from her husband, Eric, has shown some tenacity in the pursuit of her dream. I like that. Dreams matter.

But, to return to my point. The Somerset Commonwealth-Journal has done much better than in previous years in reporting on this independently, home-grown festival that is now turning into an event. I have also noticed that the Lexington Herald-Leader has taken notice and has begun some coverage of the event. I am going to be looking to see if Walter Tunis will attend. I admire his writing and acumen in his coverage of musical talent. In the past it has been enough to just comment on the acts and toss a few personal observations into the mix but this year that will be redundant. Instead I will try to comment on what this festival means to me and to the Somerset-Pulaski County area inclusively.

There have been several events locally promoting the festival and, in addition, there have been some at certain venues in Lexington. To me that shows some promise and awareness of what it takes, in addition to great talent, to make a local event known outside its locality. The festival has become known to enthusiasts for its use of native talent and use of both traditional and progressive music that may drift a bit from conventional radio music. The use of those assets gives listeners a chance to hear music that is extremely original either before it becomes popular or on it's way up.

I don't think that our community understands what a tremendous effort it takes to make this popular event possible. While Tiffany Finley Bourne is the public face of the festival there are dozens in the background who are working diligently. I won't say tirelessly because it wears one out implementing the festival and then cleaning the location up afterward. This would be a good time to give a shout-out to Somerset Community College for providing the location, which is beautiful, for the festival to use. What a great gift to our community!

And it takes a lot of money. I am not privy to the inner workings of the festival board but I can infer that the use of advertising and the willingness of local businesses to support this festival is critical to it's success. The proceeds from the gate are always just a part of the revenue necessary for events such as this. If the festival depended on the gate revenue for funding the tickets would be much higher. Our community owes a debt of gratitude to those civic minded individuals and music lovers who give their time, a precious commodity, to this effort that is generating favorable reviews for our community.

What is really important is that people will give of their personal time to support an event that brings such rewards to their community. I have bemoaned previously the lack of civic engagement in the affairs of our community. Apathy among the citizenry is a burden to a community and very difficult to overcome. The costs of such apathy extend far beyond appreciation of such local events and it permeates the local governments making them less responsive and more secretive. This festival is not the only event that is breaking that cycle but it is the longest lived. Those who began and sustained this festival deserve the sincere appreciation of every person in the Lake Cumberland Area. It is important to note that almost all of the events that accomplish this purpose have been driven by private individuals or organizations who have taken responsibility for administration and for seeing that the work is continued. To their credit, the local governments have recognized the benefits and have been supportive financially and in other ways.

But of the festival itself. This years lineup is one that I am not particularly familiar with but I have tried to pay some attention to some of the acts that will be here in order to get an idea of what they bring to our area. Our area is rich in musical talent itself so an average or mundane performance will not go unrecognized. Counting Crows has seen the top of the charts but also brings a rollicking performance to close out the festival. St. Paul and the Broken Bones has played locally and will bring a soul flavor that should get the crowd on their feet. Sunday Best and Apache Relay are regional talents that are now beginning to be noticed out of their own stomping grounds. On a personal note, I had never heard of the Avett Brothers before they graced our stage but when they began I noticed that people of a younger generation were apparently much more familiar with their music. It was only then that I payed attention and found that they were rising stars. Now they command the main stage and, I presume, would never return for what they were paid before. So, I am keeping an open mind and will attend with the likely probability of hearing music that lights my fire. Music is like that, it is universal in it's language and appeal.

I have only one cause for trepidation. One of my favorite parts of our festival has always been the use of musicians that bring our unique culture to the forefront. I love hearing traditional mountain and bluegrass music along with Celtic and other early forebears of our heritage. Hearing how the tradition has persevered over the hundreds of years to influence current music and yet, in it's own way, managed to retain the music of ages past. I long for that.

But, I have always been surprised by something at the Master Musician's Festival and I anticipate that this year also. In our advancing years we tend to become locked to the past and what we are familiar with . I am trying to not allow that to take hold of me and to keep an open mind.

As usual, My Take is that this year's festival will be one of pure enjoyment and surprises. Be there or be square.


No comments:

Post a Comment