Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Crime fighting wheels

These remarks are from the "did I read that right?" department.

The C-J reports that the Somerset Police Department has added to its crime fighting abilities with the purchase of an off road motorcycle and two Segways.  Now, for those who are not technologically current, the Segway is an electrically powered scooter with the wheels side by side.  It is navigated by leaning one way or the other and can reach speeds up to 15 miles per hour at which speed I would be looking for a way off.

First, the off road motorcycle is going to be used to enhance police transportation in places where a cruiser can't go.  After searching my mind I consider that it may be useful in pursuing criminals if they choose to seek refuge in Rocky Hollow.  I can't for the life of me recall where there is any other off road environment for this bike.

The Segways are a different matter.  The city says they can be used to patrol events in which there may be crowds.  Stop and think about that for a minute.  I am recalling the car shows, the Christmas Parade and Master Musician's Festival as being the only generators of crowds in Somerset.  There is just not too much crime at those events but you never know.

I was all for the bicycles.  I thought they were an excellent addition to the police force.  The provided for some exercise and personal interaction with the public.  Plus they are cheap to operate and the outfits were cute. 

Now, I don't want to get too personal here because this is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black but have you seen some of the members of Somerset's finest.  Let's just say that their size may necessitate some form of motorized equipment if foot pursuit is required.  I am so proud of how the eating establishments have been taking care of our officers.  However, a little more energy expediture may have some unforseen benefit when it comes to conditioning.

As great as the "WOW" factor is for the Segways I'm thinking the SPD could have gotten by without them.  I just can't figure the off road bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment